Do you follow Tasty on Facebook, if not, you need to! They create simple recipe videos and I can't help but watch them when they pop up on my Facebook feed. The other night I was browsing through my phone and Tasty had a video for churros..now normally churros are deep fat fried but these ones were baked in the oven. I also had all the ingredients you needed to make them. It was like a match made in heaven and I just had to make them then and there!
See below the super simple recipe, you must give it a go.
1 cup of water
1/3 cup of unsalted butter
2 tbps of soft dark brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup of plain flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 medium free range eggs
Cinnamon Sugar Coating Ingredients
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Recipe (pre heat oven to 180 degrees celsius)
1. Place a large saucepan on a low heat and add the water, butter, dark brown sugar and salt
2. Mix until melted
3. Turn off the heat and add in the flour
4. Mix until combined
5. Remove from the hob and leave to cool until lukewarm
6. Add in the vanilla and mix until combined
7. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and mix until combined
8. Fill your piping bag with a star nozzle and then the churro mix. The mix will be very sticky so do as best you can to get it all in
9. Pipe 6cm lines of churros onto a lined baking tray. You will need to cut the piped churro mix from the piping nozzle with scissors
10. Place in the oven at 180 degrees celsius for 10 mins
11. Once cooked, place under the grill to brown - keep an eye on them as they will brown quickly
12. Make the cinnamon sugar by mixing together the sugar and cinnamon (you get the gist lol)
13. Melt the tbsp of butter in a medium saucepan and then turn off the heat
13. Dip the churros into the melted butter, shake off any excess and then roll into the cinnamon sugar
14. Eat whilst warm!
These would be great with a lovely pot of melted milk chocolate or even some toffee sauce! The best bit about these churros is, because they're baked, they don't give you greasy fingers after scoffing them all!