In this festive season there's nothing better than eating food that ooze the perfect Christmas scent! These cookies are soft, spiced and oh so moreish! I baked these using a recipe from Niomi Smart's - Eat Smart cookbook. They're vegan and can easily be adapted to become gluten free and nut free.
150g (1 1/2 cups) ground almonds
200g (1 1/2 cups) spelt flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 ground nutmeg
a pinch of ground cloves (I left these out)
115g (1/2 cup) coconut sugar
125ml (1/2 cup) coconut oil
1 orange (zest and juice)
1 tbsp black strap molasses (I used maple syrup instead)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius or gas mark 5. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper
2. Mix the dry ingredients together (except coconut sugar) in a large bowl
3. In a pan over a low heat, gently melt the coconut oil
4. Once melted remove from heat and beat in coconut sugar by hand
5. Gently pour the wet ingredients into the dry, bit by bit, and mix until combined
6. Add the orange zest and mix until combined
7. Divide the mixture into 18 balls and place them on the baking trays
8. Flatten the balls into 5cm rounds and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden
Tips - I wanted big cookies so I split my mixture into 10 and cooked for around 10 minutes. You need to give one a test go as it's easy for them to cook too much and lose their moisture!
Why not gift these to someone for Christmas, simply pop into a kilner jar and add a beautiful handmade gift tag. If you haven't already make sure you also sign up to my mailing list as this blogmas I'm gifting all my subscribers with a free How To Create Christmas Calligraphy PDF, perfect for writing those beautiful gift tags!